Monday, March 10, 2008

Rally Figure 8

Not too much new here. I am spending some time with the rally offset figure 8. That can be hard for Wyatt if there is food and not toys in the bowls. Even toys can be hard because they are in FOOD bowls. I don't practice this much because it is hard and I do not see it much in courses. However, I would like to be confident in every rally station. I pretty much never use negatives but I do have to grab him away from the food bowl if he about to gobble the food. It seems to be going better though I did have to get him away from the good bowl initially tonight. It seems to help to maintain good eye and verbal contact during this exercise.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

John,
Try putting something he finds distastful or smelly in the bowls and let him see it. Don't use his own food bowls.
I just went to a trial Feb 9 & 10 in Tallahassee, and had this station in both ADVB & EXB on one of the days. I have seen it several times before too. So I am sure it will only be a matter of time before you see it in the ring too.

P.S. We earned three 99's, and one 98 along with three first places and one second!!! That was our 5th and 6th RAE legs.

John Heffernan said...

great scores, alice!!!

John Heffernan said...

By the way, we happen to use the same type of food bowls at home that come in the standard rally kit. I am going to work on figure 8 every day and get better at it. We worked on it again last night. Wyatt is a self serve type of dog where food is concerned so it will take some work.

Urban Smoothie Read said...

my dog is so fast with food... i can never manage to grab her head off...