Saturday, May 10, 2008

First Time Tracking This Year

We went out on a straight track first. Wyatt tracked all the way to the start pulling hard across a big field so he clearly enjoys the game. There was a strong breeze and we had a 1/2 hour track so the scent was strong. I held ground when he started going too far off track. However, this seemed to stress him out. He may have been confused because he was on scent and I was stopping him. Tricky, you want the dog to be right on the track but if he still has the scent, he probably is confused about why he is being stopped. The instructor told me to try and be more smooth and not stop him suddenly but increase the tension more slowly. They also noted that my voice and body language seemed to throw him off at times. I think he is so responsive from obedience and agility but in tracking this can work against you. They suggested using a lower voice (in pitch). I may also want to try and work without much voice and use my body language instead (except when he finds an article). Second track had a turn. He had trouble on the turn but seemed to gain confidence on the last long leg. We seemed to lose a little over the winter but that's OK. I hope to actually practice at home more between going to the practices.

2 comments:

nanders said...

I am so happy to hear about tracking and a whippet. My husband and I own a 2 year old whippet named Reilly. He is super confident, super energetic, and he can outsmart me (we are first time dog owners). Right now I have him in agility and we start Rally training tomorrow. He is hunting mad and tracks rabbits here on our fenced 5 acres and seems to want to track my husband. We are wondering if it would be too much to start tracking as well (we could do it in the summer, as I teach and have some time and my husband is retired) Your blog gives me hope that with the right training and approach I will be able to channel his energy and be able to trial with Reilly in agility. He still gets puppy zoomies in class and everyone is awestruck when they see his speed. He has his CGC but we think it was a fluke as he has greeting disorder (never met a person or a dog he doesn't like) Thank you for your clear insight in your blog.

John Heffernan said...

I think what you are doing with Reilly is great. You could add a little tracking - no hurry since it is something you can do when they are older but it is good to start them slowly when young so they get the idea. I would recommend a good one day seminar to start. Look for something that use rewards and positive training...

Good luck and keep me posted!