Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Directed Retrieve (Finally Got It)

It took me a long time to figure out how to signal the correct one of three gloves to retrieve. In this exercise, three gloves are places across the ring in the left corner, middle, and right corner of the back of the ring. You heel your dog to the face the glove the judge specifies (verbally), and send your dog to get the glove. The dog has to retrieve the glove and return to the front of the handler, sit while the glove is taken, and then finish to the handler's side. Anyway, I just could not figure out the best way to tell Wyatt which glove to get. I finally figured out that, for him, I need to put my hand next to the side of his head, and move my hand straight out in the direction of the glove. Sounds simple but it took at least 6 months to get the exact position and movement right.

No comments: