Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Directed Retrieve

I have moved the directed retrieve outside and, I have to say, it is a lot of fun. There is not room inside for 3 gloves but there is room outside and I have been doing 3 gloves and also the required turn around (since I now know the foot work - I think). Wyatt is doing well. He will sometimes get the wrong one if he does not spot it first. I have to be patient and make sure he sees it. However, I try not to move his face - I doubt that would be allowed. How to you get your dog to change his focus if he is not looking at the right glove without pointing his muzzle in the right direction? After we practice a few times (usually I do once in each of the 3 spots), I have him fetch a glove. The gloves really seem to engage the prey drive in whippets (or in Wyatt at least). He loves to get the glove.

No comments: