Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Release Word

Wyatt's contacts looked very good tonight in class. I think dropping the spot command and really focusing on a clear, consistent release has worked well. I was too focused on getting him to the 2 on, 2 off position and not enough on what happens after that. So working on the release phase has made for much more independent contacts. I give the contact name, run shoulders square to the end or past the end, and look back to see him in 2 on, 2 off and give him his release word - OK. I am hoping this will put the responsibility on him to do the contact and wait for the next thing instead of me having to have exact words, positions, etc during the performance of the obstacle. One theory I have is that he may be releasing high up on the contact when under stress because I have not been consistent in releasing and have not proofed against different words and body movements.

I have also noticed that my release word is not consistent in obedience either (the word itself and using a word). So I am trying to consistently release him with OK and not my body or "good boy" or "yes" or the next command. This should help agility and vice versa.

Does he actually view OK as his release word? I have been proofing for body movement but to really proof the release word, I need to use other words and make sure he does NOT release.

No comments: